Monday, February 14, 2011

Doll-Baby and Sugar-Pie



Valentines Day to me is; at it's best, a good reminder to recognize and celebrate the love we have, but at it's worst, it's an invitation to selfish thoughts and expectations. 

When my eyes are full with images of lavish gifts or romantic valentine dinners, and my email box full of flowers.com spam, it is easy to let my perspective be misled. To think of what should be done for me... it can really sneak up on me!

I don't really want the obligatory roses or chocolates, just to know that I am loved and to have good time together with my lovies. So to keep my perspective in check, I want to look to the One who is love. To fill my heart and mind with His definition of Love.

1 Corinthians 13:3-5 (The Message)

3-7If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love.

   Love never gives up.
   Love cares more for others than for self.
   Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.

   Love doesn't strut,
   Doesn't have a swelled head,
   Doesn't force itself on others,
   Isn't always "me first,"
   Doesn't fly off the handle,
   Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,
   Doesn't revel when others grovel,
   Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
   Puts up with anything,
   Trusts God always,
   Always looks for the best,
   Never looks back,
   But keeps going to the end. 

(bold type is to emphasize what I need reminding of)

With renewed perspective... rather than waiting with expectations to have others serve and do for me. I want to look for ways that I can show and be love. 


For my favorite man Philip, I made a Brown-Sugar Apple Pie, since apple pie is a favorite thing of his.


And a baby-doll for my doll-baby Evie seemed sweet, like her.


3 comments:

my little celebration said...

CUTE! And I loved the scripture. Thanks for that perspective check, Emily. John said he saw you at Panera over the weekend and I was sad that I didn't get to see you myself. I would've given you a big hug.

Anyways, your pie looks magnificent, your baby doll is adorable, and you are a blessing to me, your family and so many others.

Love you and Happy Valentine's Day,
Dana

Mindy Harris said...

the BABY DOLL!!! make some for my etsy shop!!!

Rubyellen said...

so cute!!! i am in love with her hair!!! that is just too fun and adorable!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...