Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Art Opening at Elevate



I forgot to tell you all that I have an exhibit on display in Lawrence, Kansas! 
And since Philip makes it a habit to be amazingly supportive, he stayed with Evie so I could go up over-night for the opening!

Autumn, the owner of Elevate, and her partners had expected about 150 people to attend, but the biggest conflict I can imagine in a college town happened; the K.U. Jayhawks had a championship game at the exact time the opening was scheduled. 
Needless to say, it was a modest turn out, but still a nice night! 

If you happen to be in the area or want an excuse to go up, you still can. 
There will be another event next month on April 29th (Final Friday), from 6-9pm at 
1403 Massachusetts.


The most exciting part of this is the location, Elevate

My cousin Autumn (who is the closest thing I've known to a sister), started this non-profit massage business, and 10% of their proceeds go to fund educational programs in Kenya.

I'm really proud of what she's doing!

Elevate also carries Bead for Life, handmade bead jewelry made from recycled paper, 
they work to eradicate extreme poverty in Uganda. 
It's an awesome place.


I couldn't resist this wall on the side of the building, the colors and textures!


This is the 14th Street entrance complete with sign made by Autumn's business partner Andy, and logo design by Elisabeth Owens. This entire endeavor is filled with gifted and talented people!


Here are some of my pieces from Haiti, 
next month there will be more hanging below this bamboo shelf!


$10 foot detox sessions in the far corner


Chair massages!


If you cannot tell already, Autumn has a complete knack for decorating! 
Everyone wants to move into this space.


I hated to use the flash in these rooms, the muted light was a big part of the ambiance, but I want you to see the Bead for Life and other fair trade merchandise.


This photo without the flash gives more the feel of the place.


These are some of my prints from Thailand.




Yummy food and another Emily.



Autumn and I.


And to end on the cutest of pics, here's Autumn with her daughter Gaia, and little Clover (who liked sitting by herself like a big girl, thank you!). 
Beauties!

Thank you Autumn for the opportunity to be a part of what you are doing! 
You are Wonder Woman.



3 comments:

Elisabeth Owens said...

Beautiful shots Emily. What a great space she has and your work looks great in it too. I can't wait to see it in person for myself.

Bethany said...

I miss our old hallway full of those beautiful photos! Looks like you had a good time--even though there was a stinky bball game that took away from your crowds. Sounds like you had a good time--and I hear you sold at least one piece. That's terrific! But what I really want to know is: What fabric did you end up buying?

Mindy Harris said...

looks like a BLAST! so exciting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...