Saturday, May 15, 2010

"Big-Girl Bed" Quilt is Finished!


So after just a couple more days of ignoring other responsibilities and staying up too late, I have finished Evie's quilt! It is very satisfying to make something that you've envisioned and put your heart into creating. After finishing last night I was so happy with the results I could have popped! It took much restraint to not say "TA-DA!" thirteen times, (I kept it down to four).
Here it is!


After purchasing cheery blue fabric for the backing, I changed my mind and decided that a mustard-gold color would be so much better. So now I need to come up with a project that will make use of the five yards of blue, hmm...
Each project I start leads to another, I'm seeing a pattern here.


I tried to use the zig-zag stitch to sew the binding like Bethany suggested, but I couldn't get the machine settings right. Fought the machine for awhile, but since it was after 1 a.m. the machine won. I caved and stuck to the straight stitch I always use. It would behoove me to figure out what I was doing wrong, my sewing knowledge is quite limited.


To avoid the overwhelming job of quilting by hand, I opted to use little yarn-ties. And while debating over which color to use, my mother-in-law had the brilliant idea to use both! I think they are pretty charming.


I don't mean to go on and on, but I'm so pleased that I was able to do this for Evie! My hope is that she will enjoy this quilt for many years. What an exciting thought that someday she could hang this quilt in her daughter's nursery like the one I hung in hers that was made by her great-grandmother Lucille.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...